Monday, May 11, 2009

Does anyone have any tips on how to grow sweet peas?

I planted some in late may, they did horible. They are only 8 inches tall, and still haven't bloomed. I seen on TV that their sweet peas are about 6 feet tall right now. How can I get mine to grow that tall, and bloom fast? Any tips or suggestions? I live in Zone 5, Ontario Canada. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any tips on how to grow sweet peas?
Thanks again for the hardiness zone reference. I am also in zone 5.





My sweet peas also did poorly. I suspect that our cool nights might have slowed down the growth. Or perhaps cool ground temperature. Try a weekly dose of a water soluble fertilizer, such as Ferti-lome 'rooting and blooming solution'.





Otherwise monitor the amount of water (not too much/ too little). Ofcourse, mine did poorly and then were finished off by the rabbits, the ravenous rabbits, so I couldn't try anything to encourage them to grow. I'll have to live vicariously through my answers...





I hope that this helps
Reply:1) Like peas, they need something to climb on. Do you have a trellis or strings or a fence out for them to grow up?


2) They don't like to get too dry. Water them every day.


3) Is your seed old? Was it packaged for this year?


4) Peas like really fertile topsoil w/ lots of manure/humus in it. How's your soil? Your county extension agent will test it for free for you. If it's too acidic or too alkaline, they can and will tell you what to do for free.


5) Are your sweet peas getting enough sun, or did you plant them in a place that's too shady?


6) Have you fertilized them? Try some MiracleGro and see if that helps.


7) Have you weeded around them so that they are not in any kind of competition w/ weeds or other plants for nutrients?





That's all I can think of now. Good luck to you!

my rodents

No comments:

Post a Comment