Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I live in zone 6 USA and I'd like to know when you have had success planting sweet peas?

I have heard of planting on St. Patrick's Day but the ground is still frozen....I've grown other vegetables successfully but have never grown peas and this year I would like to try them. Any advice?

I live in zone 6 USA and I'd like to know when you have had success planting sweet peas?
I live in Northern Michigan. Peas go into the ground as soon as you can dig a hole. Right now we havent thawed yet. Peas only need the ground to be 40 degrees in orde to germinate. If you wait until later in the year, like June, the peas succumb to sun. They cannot tolerate hot days. They will bolt. So as soon as your ground is 40 degrees, go to it. Soak your peas in a pot of water overnight so that the seedling can break through the pod. If any seeds are floating on the top, they are not viable. Good seed should sink. The peas need this soak so that the seedling can crack through the tough outer shell. As soon as I can move some snow, I will be out planting.
Reply:I'm in zone 5 (Wisconsin) and I've planted sugar snap peas as early as March, but if the ground is still frozen you'll have to wait a couple of weeks yet. I've got the itch to get out there too but yesterday we got slammed with 14" of snow!! Also, if you plant this soon be aware that it may be a wasted effort if we get a late frost....


Any-hoo, with sugar snaps I plant a few rows every 2 weeks throughout Spring and Summer, not in full sun and we have the yummy little guys all season long!


Good luck and Happy Easter!

tags

No comments:

Post a Comment